Provide your own security
To decrease the threat of attack, it is necessary to implement the appropriate preventive measures. Some people perform the preventive measures already unconsciously. The advices we shall present here could even be familiar to you, but hopefully you can find some useful tips, either.
- Don`t reveal personal information to a stranger;
- Don`t show you are alone at home;
- Protect your house front door and put the strong lock on it;
- Keep your door keys at reach, so in case of fire you can manage to get out of the building;
- Change the door locks if the previous tenant is still keeping your dwelling keys;
- Don`t give the keys to your occasional acquaintances who can make copies of them;
- Decide quickly how to act if an intruder has awakened you. One possibility is to remain in bed and hope the intruder shall leave. The other possibility is to switch the lights on and start walking around making it in a loud manner. Even you are really alone, pretend to have conversation with somebody or make phone call to your imaginary companion. Usually the thieves prefer to leave rather with empty hands and not to meet you. It is advisable to install the telephone in your sleeping room, then you can call immediately to the police and the intruder does not know it.
- Draw the curtains when it has turned dark outside. If you suspect somebody is prowling with cruel plans close to your windows, call on the police short number 110;
- Don`t tell your phone number if you are answering the phone call. If a person confirms it is a wrong connection, ask him to tell you again the number he had just dialled;
- Don`t put the receive down if the caller threatens or frightens you. You may put down the receive after some minutes. Before you cut off the connection, try to find out if a person who has called you is still on line. Don`t say anything because the threatener is evidentially waiting for your emotional reaction. Such a behaviour shall help to reduce tension and stress caused by an unknown caller. Communicate with the police or telephone operator if the calls shall repeat. Write down the date, the time when the repeated calls have been made and the subject that was told. This information shall assist in establishment of the caller.
- Order a taxi or ask somebody to drive you home if you are going to stay out late evening. Make sure if the taxi registration number is the same the dispatcher had told you. You may ask whose name the taxi has been ordered. Having arrived at your destination, ask the driver to wait until you have reached safely in your rooms.
- There are several taxi companies where you can forward your order by phone. The accurate taxi car has been provided with the name of the driver. It is useful to have information on such kind of taxi companies within reach of your hand. Avoid the taxies whose driver stopped and offers the taxi service on his own initiative.
- Ask the driver to stop the car in a place with a good visibility and crowded by people. Don´t enter the taxi if you have the slightest suspicion.
- Avoid the bus stops located in remote place, especially in the dark;
- Watch your bags and pockets in the crowded public transport because pickpockets can easily turn the situation for their profit;
- Sit close to the bus driver if the bus is empty;
- Choose the compartment or carriage in the train where the other people are also sitting.
- Before a long journey check the technical condition of your car;
- Think out your itinerary before you start off and use the highways if possible;
- Take with enough money and fuel. Fill the car canister full;
- Take with the telephone card, so in case of emergency you can call. Take with a torch.
- Inform the person you are travelling to, about the road you are going to drive and the arrival time before you start your journey;
- Don`t pick up any hitch-hikers;
- Lock up the door of the car while you are driving. Don`t leave your bags or mobile phones or other valuable items so that they are visible for the others. If you wish to open the window, set it open only a little, so that nobody can manage to push his hand through the slot when the car has stopped in the traffic flow;
- Park your car in a well –lit and much attended place in the dark time. If you park your car during the day-time but you know that you will come back late, try to predict what the situation could be when you arrive in the dark;
- Buy yourself a mobile phone if you have to drive often during the dark time or your professional duty is to visit homes (care taker and nurse).
- Safety in public place
- Take with a protective device if you frequently get home late ;
- Keep your bag close to yourself so that bag`s zip remains inside. Put key of the apartment and house in the pocket. If somebody has grasped your bag, let it loose because otherwise you may get hurt. Individual safety is more valuable that preservation of property;
- Cross the street and watch if a stranger whom you had suspected of tracing you , was following you. If your suspicion has grown, step in some cafe`, shop or other busy and well-lit place;
- Choose special roads for your jogging exercises and cycling trainings and do it at various times and roads. Use well-lighted asphalt roads and wider paths in the parks and other public areas because then you are visible for others. Avoid brushwood and other places shaded by trees. Keep in mind that you do not hear passing vehicles and approaching people if you are listening to the music from earphones;
- Don`t go along unlit boulevards, parks or deserted areas. Walk always on left shoulder of the road so any car can not approach you obliviously;
- Shout for help in a load voice and escape as quickly as you can if any car has stopped near you and you feel danger. You will win the valuable seconds and it will be quite complicated for the driver to follow you;
- Don`t hitch-hike ! Don`t sit in any unknown car which driver is asking you to sit in his car;
- Hide all jewelleries that seem expensive;
- Attend self-defence course or other safety trainings in order to increase sense of security. Ask from the local police agency or your workplace if they can recommend you any trainings.
Advice for men
A man with his behaviour is able to increase a sense of safety and not cause in a woman a cognition of fear. Every man should consider the following circumstances:
- Don`t walk behind the back of a woman if you are moving to the same direction with woman walking alone. This shall frighten her. Cross the street and start moving on the other shoulder of the street and walk with the woman in parallel. Now the woman can be sure that you do not follow her.
- Don´t sit very close to a woman who is travelling alone in bus, train or other vehicle.
- Keep in mind when you are trying to start conversation with a woman waiting at bus stop, she may not be aware of your good intent;
- Men`s gangs staring after a woman, whistling , acting in a tussles and throwing comments may be very unpleasant for a woman and may frighten her;
- Help your female acquaintance, friend, family member accompanying her on the way home or driving her home in the evening;
- Don`t leave before she has reached safely in her room.