Estonian citizenship for a ward can be applied by:
- a guardian designated by court, who holds Estonian citizenship;
- an authorized representative of a guardianship authority.
Estonian citizenship can be applied for a ward:
- who is at least 15 years of age;
- who holds a residence permit of a long-term resident or the right of permanent residence or permanent residence permit (has settled to reside in Estonia before the 1st of July 1990);
- who has lived in Estonia on the basis of a residence permit or the right of residence for at least 8 years prior to the date on which he or she submits an application for Estonian citizenship and permanently at least the last five years;
- whose place of residence has been registered in the population register of Estonia.
In order to apply for citizenship for a ward, please address in person a Service Office of the Citizenship and Migration Bureau, or apply by post or by e-mail.
Documents requested for application
- application form (complete on screen or print out and fill in by hand). Instructions for filling in the application form. You may also submit a handwritten application, in which you must state the ward’s given name and surname, data about change of given name and/or surname, date and place of birth, mother-tongue, citizenship, residence, and signature confirming correctness of the data (the application shall be signed by the guardian);
- an identity document;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- a document evidencing the education of the guardian;
- a document evidencing the career of the ward;
- 1 colour photo with measures 40x50 mm;
- a document confirming payment of the state fee;
- an identity document of the guardian;
- a document certifying the right of representation (unless the data have been entered into the population register of Estonia).
The acceptance of the application for proceeding hall be decided within 1 month from the registration of the application.
When the application has been accepted for proceeding, then, after the lapse of 6 months, the guardian or the authorized representative of a guardianship authority shall perform the following within 1 month at a Service Office, by post or by e-mail (signed digitally):
- shall confirm in written form that he/she wishes continuously to apply for Estonian citizenship for the ward (sample confirmation to be submitted by post or by e-mail);
- shall submit a document, that the ward has been released or will be released from previous citizenship (in case if the ward is a citizen of some other country).
In case if you will not submit the named documents in due term, then the proceeding of the application will be terminated.
Decision on granting or refusal to grant citizenship
Within 3 months after submitting a confirmation the documents will be forwarded to the Government of the Republic for making a decision on granting the Estonian citizenship.
In case of granting citizenship the certificate on citizenship of the ward shall be delivered by post.
After the citizenship has been granted to a ward, you can apply for the ID-card and/or passport of the Estonian citizen for the ward.