Estonian citizenship for a minor younger than 15 years of age can be applied by:
- parents who have acquired the Estonian citizenship after the birth of the child;
- one parent who has acquired the Estonian citizenship after the birth of the child with the consent of the parent who is not an Estonian citizen (the consent can be provided on the spot in the Service Office of the Citizenship and Migration Bureau);
- single parent who has acquired the Estonian citizenship after the birth of the child and is bringing up the child alone;
- a guardianship authority or the minor's guardian who is an Estonian citizen, if the parents of the minor are dead, they are missing or have restricted active legal capacity or they have been deprived of their parental rights;
- parents (or one parent with the consent of the other parent, or a parent who is bringing up the child alone), if they are applying for the Estonian citizenship simultaneously;
- by parents (or a parent who is bringing up the child alone) who are not citizens of any state and who have legally resided in Estonia for at least 5 years and whose child was born in Estonia and is not a citizen of any state.
For applying for citizenship please address in person a Service Office of the Citizenship and Migration Bureau, or apply by post or by e-mail.
Documents requested for application
- application form (complete on screen or print out and fill in by hand). Instructions for filling in the application form. You may also submit a handwritten application, in which you must state the data of the minor and the applicant;
- the minor’s birth certificate (except in case if the data of the document have been entered into the population register of Estonia) or identity document and residence card / ID-card;
- parents’ identity documents (the parents who are not Estonian citizens must also submit a residence permit / document certifying the right of residence);
- 1 colour photo with measures 40x50 mm. An application form shall be filled up when applying by post and by e-mail Minimal measurements of a digital colour photo being submitted by e-mail are 480x600 pixels (the format is JPG).
- if citizenship for a minor is applied by both parents who are not citizens of any state, and the application form is submitted by one parent, then, please submit, in addition to the application, a notarized consent of the other parent for applying for Estonian citizenship for the minor, and a notarized copy of such parent’s identity document;
- if the minor is a citizen of any other state – please submit a certificate that the minor shall be released from the previous citizenship in relation to the obtaining of the Estonian citizenship;
- if you are a parent who is bringing up the child alone – please submit a document certifying that you are bringing up the child alone;
- if the application is being submitted by a guardian or an authorized representative of a guardianship authority, please submit additionally the following documents:
- an identity document of the legal representative;
- a document certifying the right of representation (except if the data of the document have been entered into the population register of Estonia);
- an authorization letter (if the application is being submitted by an authorized representative of a guardianship authority).
The acceptance of the application for proceeding shall be decided within 1 month from the registration of the application.
Decision on granting of or refusal to grant the citizenship
Within 3 months after acceptance of the application for proceeding, the documents will be forwarded to the Government of the Republic for making a decision on granting of the Estonian citizenship.
In case of granting the citizenship the certificate on citizenship shall be handed over at a festive ceremony or shall be delivered by post.
After the citizenship has been granted to a minor, you can apply for the ID-card and/or passport of the Estonian citizen for the minor.