You can apply for Estonian citizenship, if:
- you have a residence permit of a long-term resident or the right of permanent residence (if you have settled to reside in Estonia before the 1st of July 1990);
- you have lived in Estonia on the basis of a residence permit or the right of residence for at least eight years prior to the submission of an application for Estonian citizenship and permanently at least for the last five years;
- you have passed the Estonian language proficiency examination (this exam is not required, if you have acquired the basic, secondary or higher education in the Estonian language);
- you have passed the examination of knowledge of the Constitution of the Republic of Estonia and the Citizenship Act;
- you have a permanent legal income;
- your place of residence has been registered in the population register of Estonia;
- you are loyal to the Estonian state.
For applying for citizenship, please address in person a Service Office of the Citizenship and Migration Bureau, or apply by post or by e-mail.
Documents requested for application
- application form (complete on screen or print out and fill in by hand.) Instructions for filling the application. You may also submit a handwritten application, in which you must state the applicant’s given name and surname, data about change of given name and/or surname, date and place of birth, mother-tongue, citizenship, residence, loyalty oath and signature confirming correctness of the data;
- an identity document;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- a document certifying education;
- a document certifying the previous career;
- a document certifying legal income;
- 1 colour photo with measures 40x50 mm. An application form shall be filled up when applying by post and by e-mail Minimal measurements of a digital colour photo being submitted by e-mail are 480x600 pixels (the format is JPG);
- a document certifying the payment of the state fee.
- in case if you are unable to pass the examinations due to your state of health, please enclose a decision of an expert committee that will release you either partially or fully from taking the exams;
- in case if you have acquired the basic, secondary or higher education in the Estonian language, please submit a document certifying that you have acquired the basic, secondary or higher education in the Estonian language.
The acceptance of the application for proceeding shall be decided within 1 month from the registration of the application.
When the application has been accepted for proceeding, then, after the lapse of 6 months you shall perform the following within 1 month at a Service Office, by post or by e-mail (signed digitally):
- confirm in writing, that you want to apply continuously for the Estonian citizenship (sample of the confirmation to be submitted by post or by e-mail);
- submit a document certifying, that you have been released from or will be released from previous citizenship (if you are a citizen of another country).
In case if you will not submit the named documents in due term, then the proceeding of the application will be terminated.
Decision on granting of or refusal to grant the citizenship
Within 3 months after submitting of the confirmation, the documents will be forwarded to the Government of the Republic for making a decision on granting of the Estonian citizenship.
In case of granting the citizenship the certificate on citizenship shall be handed over at a festive ceremony or shall be delivered by post.
After the citizenship has been granted to you, you can apply for the ID-card and/or passport of the Estonian citizen.