Digital certificate of identity or digi-ID is a digital document that enables to identify one’s person in electronic environment and to put the digital signature.
Digi-ID can be applied for, if you are
- the Estonian citizen who holds valid ID-card or if you are applying for the digi-ID together with the ID-card;
- an alien who holds valid residence permit card / ID-card or if you are applying the digi-ID together with the residence permit card.
An application for a digi-ID for a minor of less than 15 years of age is submitted by the legal representative of the minor (a parent, guardian, authorised representative of a guardianship authority).
Digi-ID can be applied for in Service Offices of the Migration and Citizenship Bureau and the foreign representation of the Republic of Estonia, by post or by e-mail.
Documents required for applying:
- an application form (possible to fill in on a computer screen; to print out and fill in by own hand). An application form shall be filled up when applying by post and by e-mail. Instructions for filling of an application form;
- identity document;
- a colour photo by dimensions of 40x50 mm. An application form shall be filled up when applying by post and by e-mail Minimal measurements of a digital colour photo being submitted by e-mail are 480x600 pixels (the format is JPG);
- a document certifying the payment of state fee;
Additional documents, if you apply for digi-ID for a child of less than 15 years:
- please submit the identity document of a legal representative.
- if application is submitted by a guardian designated by the court or authorised representative of the guardianship authority and right of representation is not entered to the Estonian population register, please submit a document proving right of representation;
Issuance of the digi-ID
Digi-ID is issued after acceptance of the application for the proceeding to an applicant, to the legal representative of a child marked in the application form in person:
- in the Service Office, if possible done while applicant is waiting;
- in the foreign representation of the Republic of Estonia (delivery to a foreign representation may take more time than 30 days)
- To a minor of at least 15 years of age, the digi-ID shall be issued in person.
By reception of digi-ID, please submit a valid ID-card/residence permit card.