In the Service Office, please submit documents required for applying for the ID-card. The official will fill in the application questionnaire at the spot (no need to fill it in advance).
In order to apply in the foreign representation, please submit documents required for applying for the ID-card (filled questionnaire).
Please send documents required for application and copies of the original documents to the address:
Police and Border Guard Administration
Pärnu mnt 139
You can apply for a ID-card and passport together by post, if less than 2 years have passed since applying for the previous passport and capturing fingerprints.
You can read more in detail about documents to be annexed to an application form here.
Conformity of a copy to an original document confirm by your name, signature and date on every page of the copy containing data.
You can apply for the ID-card by an e-mail, if You have a possibility to sign the application digitally.
You can apply for a ID-card and passport together by e-mail, if less than 2 years have passed since applying for the previous passport and capturing fingerprints, and if You have a possibility to sign the application digitally.
Sign all documents required for application digitally in one container. Digital colour photo (minimum size is 480х600 pixels) and specimen signature must be in .jpg format.
Send the signed container to an address email@example.com. The subject of an e-mail, please write: „Application for passport and/or ID-card“.
Instruction for saving and digital signing of the questionnaire.
Requirements to a photo
It must be possible to identify a person on the basis of a photo univocally.
- A person must be depicted at a photo:
- en face,
- having neutral expression and closed mouth,
- without headgear,
- with eyes open and look has to be directed towards camera lens.
- It has to be a colour photo, by size of 40 x 50 mm.
- Area between chin and top of head must form 70-80% of the vertical height of the photo.
- Glasses are allowed, if eyes are not covered by spectacle frames and there are no “gleams of light” from reflection of glasses.
- Photo has to be taken within 6 months before submitting an application.
- Hair may not cover face nor cause shades on face.
- Photo may not have fingerprints, scratches or any other defects on it.
- Colour gamma of the photo must have natural spectre (may not be overexposed nor underexposed).
- Background of the photo must be flat, mono-colour, of bright colour (commendatory colours are light blue, beige, light brown, light grey or white) and in contrast with colour of face and hair.
- Red-eye effect on the photo is not allowed are also its removal by means of the software is forbidden.
More detailed requirements set to the photo can be found in Government of the Republic of Estonia regulation.
Proportions of the taken photos can be compared by means of a template that can be found here. By printing of the template, we ask not to change the scale.
The document photo can be taken in the majority of Service Offices with the exception of Otepää and Elva.
Photo taken in a photo booth is digital and it can be used in all Service Offices, by applications sent by post or by e-mail within 14 days.
Photo can be taken in photo booth of the Service Office free of charge.
By applying for a document for a child being below the age of three years it is easier to take a photo by a photographer than in photo booth. If necessary, ask for additional information or assistance from customer service official.
The state fee can be paid:
- by bank transfer;
- in Service Offices by debit card (the holder of a debit card has to pay the bank's service charges. More precise information about bank service charges please contact your bank) or in cash;
- at a representation - for detailed information, whether the payment can be made either in cash or by bank card, you can get in your particular representation.
|By applying for the ID-card||In Estonia||In foreign representation||Payment of the state fee|
||10 €||By bank transfer:
SEB PANK EE891010220034796011
DANSKE BANK EE403300333416110002
NORDEA BANK EE701700017001577198
Reference number: 2900081994
To details of payment it is necessary to write name of the procedure, name of the person and ID-code (if it exists) on behalf of whom you are paying the state fee
(for example: ID-card - Meeri Meri, 40302010000)
||24,28 €||50 €|
|ID-card in expedited order||44,73 €||Can not be applied for in foreign representation|
|By applying both for the ID-card and passport together||In Estonia||In foreign representation|
|Starting from age of 15||38,34 €||80 €|
Payment by bank transfer from a bank located in a foreign country
When the state fee is paid from a bank located in a foreign state, then the receipt of the transferred sum on the recipient’s account may take 2 weeks. While effecting payment of the state fee from a bank located in a foreign country, it is necessary to know, in addition to the abovementioned, also BIC-code or SWIFT-code of the bank located in Estonia.
- The BIC i.e. SWIFT code of the SEB is EEUHEE2X.
- The BIC i.e. SWIFT code of the Swedbank is HABAEE2X.
- The BIC i.e. SWIFT code of the Danske Bank in Estonia is FOREEE2X
- The BIC i.e. SWIFT code of the Nordea Bank Finland is NDEAEE2X
- SEB Pank AS: Tornimäe 2 Tallinn 15010 Estonia
- Swedbank: Liivalaia 8 Tallinn 15040 Estonia
- Danske Bank A/S Eesti filiaal: Narva mnt 11 Tallinn 15015 Estonia
- Nordea Bank Finland Plc Eesti filiaal: Liivalaia 45 Tallinn 10145 Estonia
Document annexed to an application that is issued in a foreign country has to be translated into Estonian, English or Russian and notarised certification of the translation is required.
The document needs to be certified with an apostille certificate (marginal note) or legalised, excl. in cases, if it has been issued by a country:
- with which Estonia has signed a contract of legal assistance: Lithuania, Latvia, Poland, Ukraine, Russia.
- who are subjects to the Convention on the issue of multilingual extracts from civil status records, signed at Vienna in 1976: Austria, Belgium, Bosnia, Spain, the Netherlands, Croatia, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Moldavia, Montenegro, Poland, Portugal, France, Germany, Serbia, Slovenia, Switzerland and Turkey;
- who are subjects to the Brussels 1987 Convention and who are temporary applying the Brussels Convention: Belgium, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, France, Denmark.
Additional information can be found at home page of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
On 1st of July 2012 entered into force an agreement on cancellation of the legalization requirement of population register documents of Estonia and Finland, which significantly simplifies for people to manage their public businesses in both countries. Pursuant to the agreement the statements of population register, which are made in English language, shall be mutually recognized without any additional certificate (apostille) or translation.
The agreement specifies the list of documents which will be mutually released from apostille. On the part of Estonia such documents are statements of the population register in English language (certificates for birth, death, marriage, change of name, divorce, certificate on ability to get married and statement with selective data). On the part of Finland such documents are the statement of the population register (with selective data), certificate by church and certificate on ability to get married.
From now on, for a citizen of Estonia and for a citizen of Finland who is residing in Estonia the best way is to apply in a local municipality for an English language statement of Estonian population register with all the requested data. The statement of the population register is free of charge. For evidencing a certain event, it is possible, when required, to ask from a county government the English language certificate of such event, which shall be issued against state fee payment pursuant to the State Fees Act (for certificate of birth, death, marriage and divorce the state fee is 3,19 Euros, for certificate on ability to get married 1,59 Euros and for a statement of decision on change of name 3,19 Euros).
This named agreement is not applicable to vital statistics documents which have been issued before 1.07.2010 and to the statements issued in Estonian and Finnish languages.
The full text of the agreement is provided in the State Gazette „Riigi Teataja“.