In case if You are an alien, who is not a citizen of the European Union, You may apply for a temporary residence permit:
- for settling with a spouse
- for settling with a close relative:
- for study
- for employment
- for business
- in case of substantialpublic interest
- extension of residence permiti in existence of legal income
An alien, who is applying for a residence permit, is subjected to the immigration quota of Estonia for aliens, which shall not exceed 0,1% of Estonian permanent population in one year. An alien shall not be subjected to the immigration quota, if he or she is:
- a citizen of the United States of America or Japan;
- applying for residence permit for the purpose of making a research or study.
When applying for a residence permit, the fingerprints will be captured from the applicant (starting from 6th year of age), which will be entered to the residence card of the applicant. When granting a residence permit, a residence card shall be issued to the alien. Temporary residence permit shall be issued for up to 5 years. The issue of residence permits to aliens is regulated by the Aliens Act.
You may read about the obligations of an alien here.