Weapons may be acquired by citizens of the Republic of Estonia or by aliens who hold a valid Estonian residence permit or who are residing in Estonia on the basis of the right of residence. Weapons may be acquired since 18 years of age, by some types of weapons as of 21 years of age.
Physical persons are permitted to acquire, hold and possess weapons for hunting, self-defence and protection of property, dealing with sports, professional activities and collection.
Documents required for application
• Passport or ID-card
• Residence permit (an alien)
• Health certificate issued by family physician
• 2 photos by size of 30x40 mm
• Hunting certificate (if weapon will be acquired for hunting)
• Document proving membership of a sports organization (if weapon will be acquired for dealing with sports)
Rates of state fees
• the review of an application for a weapons acquisition permit - 12,78 euro
• the extension of the term of validity of a weapons acquisition permit - 3,19 euro
• issue of a weapons permit - 12,78 euro
• the exchange of a weapons permit - 3,19 euro
• issue of a parallel weapons permit - 12,78 euro
• issue of a permit to carry a weapon - 12,78 euro
• weapons exam - 12,78 euro
• application for weapons and cartridge collection permit - 12,78 euro
• application for activity licence - 255,64 euro
• European firearms passport (valid together with weapons permit only) - 12,78 euro
For getting an acquisition permit that is prerequisite for buying a weapon, a relevant application shall be submitted to a local Police prefecture.
An applicant of a weapons acquisition permit shall write an application in the Prefecture where he/she shall enter the data related to type, purpose and place of the storage of a weapon to be purchased.
Weapons permit will be issued after registration of the weapon with the Police authority. A state fee for issuing of a weapons permit has to be paid to this end.
NB! Before applying to the prefecture, it would be useful to get acquainted with circumstances excluding issuing of weapons acquisition permit and weapons permit stipulated in the Weapons Act.