Residence permit for a spouse for settling with a family member
What do I need to do to apply for a residence permit for settling with a spouse?
- Gather all the required documents.
- Submit the required documents and pay the state fee.
- You shall receive an answer within 2 months and your residence card shall be issued within 30 days after approval.
Where can I apply for a residence permit?
You can apply for a residence permit:
If you know that you would like to settle in Estonia for longer already before arriving here, we recommend applying for the residence permit abroad, through a foreign mission.
How to apply for a residence permit at a foreign mission?
If you are residing abroad, submit the application for a residence permit to a foreign mission of Estonia. For more information about the procedure for submitting the application, contact the respective foreign mission.
How to apply for a residence permit at the Police and Border Guard Board?
If you are residing in Estonia, you can submit the application for the residence permit at the service offices of the Police and Border Guard Board. To do so, make a reservation online or by phone by calling 612 3000.
Does the residence permit application need to be submitted in person?
The application must be submitted in person in order to have your fingerprints taken.
Fingerprints shall not be taken if:
- your fingerprints have already been taken less than six years ago, e.g., if you have applied for a residence permit before
- you have been proven permanently incapable to provide fingerprints.
What documents are needed to apply for a residence permit for settling with a spouse in Estonia?
In order to apply for a residence permit for settling with a spouse in Estonia, you must submit:
- a completed temporary residence permit application form
- a completed form of the details of your close relatives and family members
- a completed form of an invitation by the spouse filled and signed by the spouse who is the inviter
- a document certifying the contraction of the marriage, if the marriage has been contracted in a foreign country, not in Estonia
- an identity document
- digital photo
- a document certifying payment of the state fee, e.g., a payment order.
The processor of the application may ask you to submit additional information or documents, if necessary.