Residence permit for a spouse for settling with a family member
Extending the residence permit
What to do to get a residence permit extended?
- Apply for extension of the residence permit at least 2 months before expiry.
- Submit the required documents and pay the state fee.
- Applications submitted in due time are answered no later than 10 days before the expiry of the valid residence permit.
If your fingerprints were taken within the last 6 years and you have a valid residence card, you can also have your residence permit extended by e-mail.
How to apply for an extension of the residence permit at the Police and Border Guard Board?
If you are residing in Estonia, you can submit the application for the residence permit at the service offices of the Police and Border Guard Board. To do so, make a reservation online or by phone by calling 612 3000.
What documents am I required to submit to apply for extension of a residence permit?
In order to apply for extension of a residence permit, you must submit:
- a completed temporary residence permit extension application form
- a completed form of the details of your close relatives and family members, if such details have changed
- a completed form of an invitation by the spouse filled and signed by the spouse who is the inviter or written confirmation that the circumstances have not changed
- an identity document
- digital photo
- a document certifying payment of the state fee, e.g., a payment order.
The processor of the application may ask you to submit additional information or documents, if necessary.
Read about the requirements for documents issued in a foreign country.
How quickly is the extension of a residence permit decided?
If the application for the extension of the residence permit was submitted at least two months before the expiry of the permit, the decision on whether or not to extend it shall be made no later than 10 days before the expiry of the residence permit.