Estonian citizenship can be applied for a ward by the guardian:
- who is at least 15 years of age;
- who holds a residence permit of a long-term resident or the right of permanent residence or permanent residence permit (has settled to reside in Estonia before the 1st of July 1990);
- who has lived in Estonia on the basis of a residence permit or the right of residence for at least 8 years prior to the date on which he or she submits an application for Estonian citizenship and permanently at least the last five years;
- whose place of residence has been registered in the population register of Estonia.
- application form (complete on screen or print out and fill in by hand). Instructions for filling in the application form. You may also submit a handwritten application, in which you must state the ward’s given name and surname, data about change of given name and/or surname, date and place of birth, mother-tongue, citizenship, residence, and signature confirming correctness of the data (the application shall be signed by the guardian);
- an identity document;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- a document evidencing the education of the guardian;
- a document evidencing the career of the ward;
- 1 colour photo with measures 40x50 mm. An application form shall be filled up when applying by post and by e-mail Minimal measurements of a digital colour photo being submitted by e-mail are 480x600 pixels (the format is JPG);
- a document confirming payment of the state fee;
- an identity document of the guardian;
- a document certifying the right of representation (unless the data have been entered into the population register of Estonia).
When the application has been accepted for proceeding, then, after the lapse of 6 months, the guardian shall perform the following within 1 month at a Service Office, by post or by e-mail (signed digitally):
- shall confirm in written form that he/she wishes continuously to apply for Estonian citizenship for the ward (sample confirmation to be submitted by post or by e-mail);
- shall submit a document, that the ward has been released or will be released from previous citizenship (in case if the ward is a citizen of some other country).
In case if you will not submit the named documents in due term, then the proceeding of the application will be terminated.
Decision on granting or refusal to grant citizenship
Within 3 months after submitting a confirmation the documents will be forwarded to the Government of the Republic for making a decision on granting the Estonian citizenship.
In case of granting citizenship the certificate on citizenship of the ward shall be delivered by post.
After the citizenship has been granted to a ward, you can apply for the ID-card and/or passport of the Estonian citizen for the ward.