Release from Estonian citizenship may be refused to a person, if:
- the person would become stateless as a result;
- he or she has unperformed obligations before the Estonian state.
For submission of an application for release from the citizenship please address in person a Service Office, or a Representations of the Republic of Estonia, or apply by post or by e-mail.
An application on behalf of a minor younger than 15 years of age or of a ward shall be submitted by his/her legal representative (parent or guardian). A minor aged 15-18 can submit an application himself/herself with the consent of his/her legal representative.
Documents requested for application
- application form, to be filled in on screen and printed out. Instructions for filling the application form;
- a certificate proving the citizenship of any other country or the fact that the applicant will receive the citizenship of another country in connection with the release from the Estonian citizenship;
- 1 colour photo with measures 40x50 mm;
- a document certifying the payment of the state fee;
- in case of a minor under 15 years of age, an agreement between the parents which bears officially certified signatures of the parties, or a document proving that the parent is bringing up the minor alone;
in case of a person 15-18 years of age, a consent by a parent or guardian.
Decision on release from Estonian citizenship
Upon registration of your application for release from the Estonian citizenship a relevant certification shall be issued to you.
Documents related to the release from the Estonian citizenship shall be forwarded within 1 year starting from the registration date of the application to the Government of the Republic for taking a decision.
In case of release from Estonian citizenship please return immediately the invalidated documents of Estonian citizen to a Service Office , or, if you are staying abroad, to the nearest foreign representation of the Republic of Estonia.