Estonian citizenship for a minor younger than 15 years of age can be applied by:
- parents who have acquired the Estonian citizenship after the birth of the child;
- one parent who has acquired the Estonian citizenship after the birth of the child with the consent of the parent who is not an Estonian citizen (the consent can be provided on the spot in the Service Office of the Citizenship and Migration Bureau);
- single parent who has acquired the Estonian citizenship after the birth of the child and is bringing up the child alone;
- the minor's guardian who is an Estonian citizen;
- parents (or one parent with the consent of the other parent, or a parent who is bringing up the child alone), if they are applying for the Estonian citizenship simultaneously.
For applying for citizenship please address in person a Service Office, or apply by post or by e-mail. For submitting the application in the Service Office you need to make a reservation.
Documents requested for application
- application form, to be filled in on screen and printed out. Instructions for filling in the application form;
- parents’ identity documents;
- 1 colour photo with measures 40x50 mm. An application form shall be filled up when applying by post and by e-mail Minimal measurements of a digital colour photo being submitted by e-mail are 480x600 pixels (the format is JPG).
- an agreement with the other parent who is not an Estonian citizen, which bears officially certified signatures of the parties;
- if you are a parent who is bringing up the child alone – please submit a document certifying that you are bringing up the child alone;
- if the application is being submitted by a guardian, please submit additionally the following documents:
- an identity document of the legal representative;
- a document certifying the right of representation (except if the data of the document have been entered into the population register of Estonia).
The documents need not be submitted if the data is included in national databases.
Decision on granting of or refusal to grant the citizenship
Within 3 months after acceptance of the application for proceeding, the documents will be forwarded to the Government of the Republic for making a decision on granting of the Estonian citizenship.
In case of granting the citizenship the certificate on citizenship shall be handed over at a festive ceremony or shall be delivered by post.
After the citizenship has been granted to a minor, you can apply for the ID-card and/or passport of the Estonian citizen for the minor.
Simultaneously with an application for Estonian citizenship You can also submit an application for an ID-card and/or Estonian citizen's passport of a minor.