You can apply for Estonian citizenship, if:
- you have a long-term residence permit or the right of permanent residence or residence permit (who has settled in Estonia or was born in Estonia before 1 July 1990);
- you have lived in Estonia, prior submitting an application, for at least eight years on the ground of a residence permit or by right of residence, of which at least the last five years on a permanent basis;
- you have passed the Estonian language proficiency examination (this exam is not required, if you have acquired the basic, secondary or higher education in the Estonian language);
- you have passed the examination of knowledge of the Constitution of the Republic of Estonia and the Citizenship Act;
- you have a permanent legal income;
- your place of residence has been registered in the population register of Estonia;
- you are loyal to the Estonian state.
- application form, to be filled in on screen and printed out. Instructions for filling the application.
- a document certifying legal income;
- 1 colour photo with measures 40x50 mm. An application form shall be filled up when applying by post and by e-mail Minimal measurements of a digital colour photo being submitted by e-mail are 480x600 pixels (the format is JPG);
- a document certifying the payment of the state fee;
- a document proving that the applicant has been released from citizenship of another state or will be released from such citizenship in relation to the acquisition of Estonian citizenship or that he or she has been declared a person with undetermined citizenship, but this document does not have to be submitted by a person who is under 18 years of age and a person who has been granted international protection in case the situation in his or her country of origin has not changed. In case of a person 15-18 years of age, a consent by a parent or guardian shall be submitted;
- a certificate on passing the Estonian language examination or a document proving that the applicant has acquired the basic, secondary or higher education in the Estonian language;
- a certificate on passing the examination on the knowledge of the Constitution of the Republic of Estonia and the Citizenship Act;
- if an applicant, due to his or her health reasons, is unable to take the examinations, a decision by the expert committee releasing him or her either in part or in full from taking the examinations.
The documents need not be submitted if the data is included in national databases.
- in case if you are unable to pass the examinations due to your state of health, please enclose a decision of an expert committee that will release you either partially or fully from taking the exams;
- in case if you have acquired the basic, secondary or higher education in the Estonian language, please submit a document certifying that you have acquired the basic, secondary or higher education in the Estonian language.
Decision on granting of or refusal to grant the citizenship
After the submission of an application, the documents will be transmitted within 6 months to the Government of the Republic for taking a decision on the grant of Estonian citizenship.
In case of granting the citizenship the certificate on citizenship shall be handed over at a festive ceremony or shall be delivered by post.
After the citizenship has been granted to you, you can apply for the ID-card and/or passport of the Estonian citizen.
Simultaneously with an application for Estonian citizenship You can also submit an application for an ID-card and/or Estonian citizen’s passport.