Attention! Important information for everyone whose digi-ID was issued before 01.12.2014. Starting from 01.04.2017, digi-ID that were issued before the end of 2014 are cancelled for security reasons.
If the Police and Border Guard Board knows the valid email address of the document user, a notification is sent to this address. In order to receive a new document, the document user must turn to a service of the Police and Border Guard Board where he/she can choose if he/she is issued a document with the validity of the old digi-ID for free or apply for a new document valid for 3 years, for which a state fee is charged.
Digital certificate of identity or digi-ID is a digital document that enables to identify one’s person in electronic environment and to put the digital signature.
Digi-ID can be applied for, if you are
- the Estonian citizen who holds valid ID-card or if you are applying for the digi-ID together with the ID-card;
- an alien who holds valid residence permit card / ID-card or if you are applying the digi-ID together with the residence permit card.
An application for a digi-ID for a minor of less than 15 years of age is submitted by the legal representative of the minor (a parent, guardian, authorised representative of a guardianship authority).
Digi-ID can be applied for in Service Offices and the foreign representation of the Republic of Estonia, by post or by e-mail.
Documents required for applying:
- an application for identity documents (possible to fill in on a computer screen; to print out and fill in by own hand). An application form shall be filled up when applying by post and by e-mail. Instructions for filling of an application form;
- identity document;
- a document certifying the payment of state fee;
Additional documents, if you apply for digi-ID for a child of less than 15 years:
- please submit the identity document of a legal representative.
- if application is submitted by a guardian designated by the court or authorised representative of the guardianship authority and right of representation is not entered to the Estonian population register, please submit a document proving right of representation;
Issuance of the digi-ID
Digi-ID is issued after the application was received for processing to an applicant, or to the authorised representative assigned by the applicant (recommended form, possible to fill in on a computer screen or print out and fill in by own hand) at the time of applying for the document:
- in the Service Office, if possible done while the applicant is waiting
- in the foreign representation of the Republic of Estonia (delivery to a foreign representation may take more time than 30 days)
- to a minor of at least 15 years of age, the Digi-ID shall be issued personally or to the authorised representative assigned by the applicant at the time of applying for the document.
On receipt of a document:
- please provide a previously issued valid document of the same type
An authorised representative:
- provides his or her valid identity document issued in Estonia
- provides a valid document of the same type, issued to the applicant, if such document exists