The ID-card can be applied for in Service Offices, in foreign representations of the Republic of Estonia, by post or by e-mail.
The ID-card can be applied for in expedited procedure in the Service Offices. If you have not been issued the identity document earlier, then it is not possible to apply for the ID-card in expedited procedure.
Documents required for applying:
- an application for identity documents (possible to fill in on a computer screen; to print out and fill in by own hand). An application form shall be filled up when applying by post and by e-mail. Instructions for filling of an application form;
- an identity document;
- a colour photo by dimensions of 40x50 mm; An application form shall be filled up when applying by post and by e-mail Minimal measurements of a digital colour photo being submitted by e-mail are 600x800 pixels (the format is JPG);
- a document certifying the payment of state fee.
- if you have moderate, severe or profound disability and favourable conditions of paying the state fee apply to you, please submit the document certifying the disability (for example, medial expert decision, pension certificate);
- if you have changed your personal data (for example, name) in a foreign country and changed personal data are not entered to the Estonian population register, please submit document proving change of personal data (for example, marriage certificate);
- if you have not been issued an identity document of the citizen of Estonia earlier, please submit documents proving the right to the Estonian citizenship.
Issuance of the ID-card
The ID-card is issued within 30 days (after the application was received for processing) to an applicant in person or to an authorised representative assigned by an applicant (recommended form, possible to fill in on a computer screen or print out and fill in by own hand) at the time of applying for the document, in the Service Office or in the foreign representation of the Republic of Estonia indicated in the application form. Delivery of the passport to a foreign representation may take more time. For information concerning the arrival and delivery of documents please contact the foreign representation of the Republic of Estonia, whereto you have ordered the document.
Foreign representations of the Republic of Estonia: http://www.vm.ee/?q=taxonomy/term/38.
If you wish to receive your identity document elsewhere than the foreign representation of the Republic of Estonia, which is named on the application form, then you will find more detailed information concerning this possibility on the webpage of the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The ID-card applied for in expedited procedure will be issued within 5 working days (counting starts from working day following the day of submission of the application) to an applicant in person or to an authorised representative assigned by an applicant at the time of applying for the document in Tallinn Service Offices only.
On receipt of a document:
- please provide a previously issued valid document of the same type
An authorised representative:
- provides his or her valid identity document issued in Estonia
- provides a valid document of the same type, issued to the applicant, if such document exists