Refugee’s travel document is a document that is issued to a refugee for crossing the state border.
Refugee's travel document can be applied for can be applied for in Service Offices. If less than 2 years have passed since applying for the previous refugee's travel document and taking of fingerprints, you can also apply for an aliens passport by post.
A refugee's travel document can be applied for in expedited procedure in the Service Offices.
Documents required for application:
- an application for identity documents (possible to fill in on a computer screen; to print out and fill in by own hand)
- colour photo by size of 40 x 50 mm
- document confirming payment of state fee
- if you have moderate, severe or profound disability and favourable conditions of paying the state fee apply to you, please submit the document certifying the disability (for example, medial expert decision, pension certificate)
- if you have changed your personal data (for example, name) in a foreign country and changed personal data are not entered to the Estonian population register, please submit document proving change of personal data (for example, marriage certificate)
Issuance of the refugee’s travel document
Refugee's travel document is issued within 30 days (after the application was received for processing) to an applicant in person or to an authorised representative assigned by an applicant (recommended form, possible to fill in on a computer screen or print out and fill in by own hand) at the time of applying for the document, in the Service Office.
A refugee's travel document applied for in expedited procedure will be issued within 2 working days (counting starts from working day following the day of submission of the application) to an applicant in person or to an authorised representative assigned by an applicant at the time of applying for the document in Tallinn Service Offices only.
You can check the status of the application for a document here.
On receipt of the refugee's travel document:
- an authorised representative assigned by an applicant at the time of applying for the document, submits his or her document;
- submit a valid refugee's travel document issued earlier, if it exists;
- the official will compare your fingerprints to those given earlier.