In case if you are an alien who is not an European Union citizen, then you can apply for a long-term residence permit, if:
- you have resided in Estonia permanently for five years on the basis of temporary residence permit directly prior submitting an application for long-term residence permit
- you hold valid temporary residence permit
- the data of your place of residence have been entered into the population register of Estonia;
- you have permanent legal income for subsistence in Estonia
- you are covered with health insurance (Eesti haigekassa)
- you comply with the integration requirement, i.e. you have knowledge of the Estonian language at least at B1 level established by the language act or level corresponding to that
The requirements provided in the previous clause, except the permanent legal income, are not applicable with regard to an alien who has settled in Estonia before 01.07.1990 and has resided and is actually residing in Estonia and has not left to another state and whose residence in Estonia does not present a threat to the interests of Estonia.
An alien, who has received a temporary residence permit for study (the period of residence permit for study shall be taken into account of the period of stay in half amount, if the person holds thereafter a temporary residence permit on other grounds) or in case of substantial public interest, cannot apply for a long-term residence permit.
Please submit an application for long-term residence permit at least 2 months before expiry of the valid temporary residence permit.
You can apply for a long-term residence permit at a Service Office. In case if less than 5 years have passed from the last application (document, residence permit) and capturing of fingerprints, then you may also apply for a residence permit by post. An application on behalf of a minor younger than 15 years or of a ward shall be submitted by his/her legal representative (e.g. parent, guardian, authorized representative of a guardianship authority).
Documents requested for application
Application for residence permit of a long-term resident or renewal thereof (to be filled in on screen and printed out). The application form must be filled in Estonian language! Instructions for filling the application form. By signing the application you confirm that:
- the copy appended to the application complies with the original document, it does not contain false data and it has not been forged
- you have adequate legal income
- identity document;
- a certificate of Estonian language proficiency examination (except if the applicant has been released from the fulfilment of the integration requirement or the applicant has been issued an e-certificate or the applicant has settled in Estonia before 1 July 1990, has been residing and is actually residing in Estonia, has not left to reside in another state and his or her residence in Estonia does not present a threat to the interests of Estonia);
- 1 colour photo with measures 40x50 mm;
- a document certifying the payment of the state fee.
In addition, the following documents shall be submitted upon application for long-term residence permit for children less than 1 year of age:
- a child's birth certificate (except if the data of the document have been entered into the population register of Estonia);
- an identity document of the child, if such exists.
Decision on granting of or refusal to grant the right of residence
The granting of or refusal to grant the right of long-term residence shall be decided within 2 months from submission of the application, but not later than 10 days prior the expiry of the validity term of a temporary residence permit.
In the case of granting of the residence permit the residence card shall be issued to the applicant in person within 30 days at the Service Office named on the application form.
The residence card of a minor under age 15 and of a ward shall be issued to his/her legal representative.
Restoration of long-term residence permit
In case if Your long-term residence permit has been cancelled, then it is possible in certain cases to apply for its restoration.
Restoration of long-term residence permit can be applied for by an alien, whose long-term residence permit has been previously cancelled either due to his or her staying away from Estonia or from other Member States of the European Union, or due to obtaining the status of long-term resident in other Member State of the European Union, provided that:
- You have resided in Estonia on the basis of temporary residence permit and permanently at least 2 years directly prior submitting the application;
- You hold valid temporary residence permit;
- You have permanent legal income for subsistence in Estonia;
- You are covered with health insurance (Estonian Health Insurance Fund).
For restoration of long-term residence permit shall be submitted the same documents as when applying for long-term residence permit (except the certificate of Estonian language proficiency examination).