You may apply for a residence permit to settle with a spouse who resides permanently in Estonia, if the spouse is:
- an Estonian citizen or national;
- a citizen of the European Union who holds a right of residence;
- an alien, who has been residing in Estonia on the basis of a residence permit for at least two years. The above requirement is not applicable if the spouse has received a residence permit:
- for Master's or Doctor's degree studies;
- employment on the basis of the European Union blue card;
- a long term residence permit as an alien formerly residing in Estonia on the basis of the European Union blue card;
- for study in the Bachelor's studies in the framework of an international program of cooperation or treaty or an international cooperation agreement or if the alien has been designated a scholarship which is financed by the Estonian state or internationally recognized.
- in a performing arts institution as a person engaged in creative activities;
- as a teacher;
- for scientific research or a member of the academic staff;
- for professional activities as sportsman, coach, referee or sports official;
- as a member of the management body of a legal entity;
- as an expert, advisor or counsel;
- as a layer of devices or craftsman;
- as top specialist.
Requirements for the documents isused abroad can be found here.
For submitting an application, please address in person a foreign representations of the Republic of Estonia. As an exception you may submit an application in a Service Office.
Application forms, to be filled in on screen and printed out. Instructions for filling in the application form.
- An application for temporary residence permit, when temporary residence permit is applied for;
- an application for the extension of temporary residence permit, when the extension of temporary residence permit is applied for;
- invitation by spouse;
- data of close relative and family members, when temporary residence permit is applied for and upon extension of residence permit, if the data has changed;
- identity document;
- 1 colour photo with measures 40x50 mm;
- a document certifying the payment of the state fee;
- a document which certifies that an applicant and the person inviting him or her are married, if they were married in a foreign state, not in Estonia;
- a document proving sufficient legal income;
- a written explanation including the given name or names, surname or surnames, Estonian personal identification code or date of birth of applicant's former spouse(s) and the duration of marriage, if the applicant has formerly been married, except upon application for extension of temporary residence permit;
- health insurance contract.
Decision on granting or refusal of residence permit
Granting or refusal of temporary residence permit shall be decided within 2 months from the acceptance of the application. In case if the marriage has lasted:
- less than three years, the residence permit may be granted for up to one year and it can be extended by maximum one year at a time;
- more than three years, a residence permit may be granted for up to 3;
- at least three years and the alien has been granted temporary residence permit for settling with a spouse, it can be extended for up to three years at a time;
- if an alien has been granted a temporary residence permit for settling with a spouse and has lived in Estonia at least five years based on this permit, the permit can be extended for up to five years at a time.
Residence permit is refused in case of:
- submission of false data upon applying;
- the marriage is fictitious;
- the spouses shall not settle to reside in Estonia.
In case of granting a residence permit, a residence card shall be issued to the applicant in person within 30 days at the foreign representation of the Republic of Estonia or at the Service Office stated on the application form. Arrival of the residence card in a foreign representation may take more time.
Extension of temporary residence permit
Please submit an application for extension of temporary residence permit in person at a Service Office at least two months prior the expiry of the current residence permit. In case if less than 2 years have passed from the previous applying for residence permit and from capturing of fingerprints, you can also apply for extension of residence permit by post or by e-mail.
The decision on extension or refusal to extend the temporary residence permit shall be made at the latest 10 days prior the expiry of the validity term of the temporary residence permit. The residence card shall be issued at the Service Office named on the application form.
A legal basis for stay in Estonia after the expiry of the residence permit
If the residence permit of an alien expires upon the lapse of the period of validity, the stay in Estonia shall be legal for the 90 days following the expiry date of the period of validity of the residence permit. You may read more about the legal bases for stay in Estonia from here.