An alien may apply for residence permit, on the condition that the person's legal income ensures his or her subsistence in Estonia.
For submitting an application, please address in person together with the ward a foreign representation of the Republic of Estonia. As an exception you may submit an application in a Service Office of the Citizenship and Migration Bureau.
- application form (complete on screen or print out and fill in by hand). Instructions for filling in the application form;
- annex 2 to the application form (complete on screen or print out and fill in by hand);
- annex 3 to the application form (complete on screen or print out and fill in by hand);
- an identity document;
- a written explanation on what reasons the residence permit is being applied for;
- a document which certifies the legal income of 18 average gross incomes in the Republic of Estonia per month during the 6 months preceding the submission of the application;
- Curriculum Vitae (complete on screen or print out and fill in by hand);
- 1 colour photo with measures 40 x 50 mm;
- a document certifying the payment of the state fee;
- a document certifying the existence of an actual dwelling in Estonia (except if the residence has been registered in the population register of Estonia);
- an insurance contract.
Decision on granting or refusal of residence permit
Granting or refusal of temporary residence permit shall be decided within 2 months from the acceptance of the application. In case of granting a residence permit, a residence card shall be issued to the applicant in person within 30 days at the foreign representation of the Republic of Estonia or at the Service Office stated on the application form. Arrival of the residence card in a foreign representation may take more time.
An alien who has been granted a residence permit is not permitted to work in Estonia.
A residence permit may be granted for up to 2 years, if granting of residence permit is justified and it does not jeopardize the national interests of the state of Estonia. A residence permit may be extended by 2 years at a time.
Extension of temporary residence permit
For extension of temporary residence permit please submit the same documents which you submitted when applying for temporary residence permit (except the Curriculum Vitae, written explanation and data concerning your close relatives, spouse, family members and dependants – if such data has not changed after the previous application for residence permit) and a written explanation on what reasons the applicant wishes to reside continuously in Estonia, at least 2 months prior expiry of the valid residence permit and in person at a Service Office.
In case if less than 2 years have passed from the previous applying for residence permit and from capturing of fingerprints, you can also apply for extension of residence permit by post.
The decision on extension or refusal to extend the temporary residence permit shall be made at the latest 10 days prior the expiry of the validity term of the temporary residence permit. The residence card shall be issued at the Service Office named on the application form.