A temporary residence permit can be applied for study in educational institutions acknowledged by the state.
For submitting an application, please address in person a foreign representation of the Republic of Estonia. As an exception you may submit an application in a Service Office.
An application for a child under 15 years of age shall be submitted by his/her legal representative (e.g. parent, guardian). A minor at least 15 years of age, who is permanently residing in a foreign country, may submit an application for temporary residence permit and work permit independently only upon a notarially attested consent of his/her legal representative.
- Application forms, to be filled in on screen and printed out. Instructions for filling in the application form.
- An application for temporary residence permit, when temporary residence permit is applied for;
an application for the extension of temporary residence permit, when the extension of temporary residence permit is applied for;
- data of close relative and family members, when temporary residence permit is applied for and upon extension of residence permit, if the data has changed;
- a document proving sufficient legal income (except if the purpose of studies is participation in voluntary service of a youth project or program acknowledged by the Ministry of Education and Science);
- an identity document;
- 1 colour photo with measures 40x50 mm;
- a document certifying the payment of the state fee;
- an insurance contract;
- a contract of traineeship concluded between the institution conducting the traineeship or student organisation and the applicant, if the applicant arrives in the state for traineeship;
- a copy of the voluntary service contract concluded between the applicant and a youth association, if an applicant shall come to the state for voluntary service.
Requirements for the documents issued abroad can be found here.
The educational institution or student organisation can submit the invitation by educational institution or student organisation to the Police and Border Guard Board by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by post (Pärnu mnt. 139, 15060 Tallinn).
Additional documents when applying for a residence permit for a minor child under age 15:
- an identity document of the legal representative;
- a document certifying the legal representative’s right of representation (birth certificate of the child, document proving guardianship). The named document shall not be submitted, if the data of such document has been entered into the population register of Estonia;
- an applicant’s consent to study in Estonia, attested by notary.
An applicant in the status of long-term resident of another EU Member State is required to prove such status upon applying for the residence permit.
Decision on granting or refusal of residence permit
Granting or refusal of temporary residence permit shall be decided within 2 months from the acceptance of the application.
A temporary residence permit may be granted for up to 1 year.
In case of granting a residence permit, a residence card shall be issued to the applicant in person within 30 days at the foreign representation of the Republic of Estonia or at the Service Office stated on the application form. Arrival of the residence card in a foreign representation may take more time.
Residence card for a minor under 15 years of age shall be issued to his/her legal representative.
Alien, who holds a residence permit for study, can be employed in Estonia without holding a separate permit for employment, provided that his or her employment shall not interfere with the studies.
Extension of temporary residence permit
Please submit an application for extension of temporary residence permit in person at a Service Office at least two months prior the expiry of the current residence permit.In case if less than 2 years have passed from the previous applying for residence permit and from capturing of fingerprints, you can also apply for extension of residence permit by post or by e-mail.
The decision on extension or refusal to extend the temporary residence permit shall be made at the latest 10 days prior the expiry of the validity term of the temporary residence permit. The residence card shall be issued at the Service Office named on the application form.
You may find information about obligations of an educational institution here.
A legal basis for stay in Estonia after the expiry of the residence permit
When an alien has been issued a residence permit for study, the right to stay in Estonia arising from the expiry of the period of validity of a temporary residence permit shall be the legal basis of an alien for stay in Estonia for the 183 days following the expiry date of the period of validity of the residence permit, if the period of validity of the temporary residence permit of an alien expired upon arrival of the term. You may read more about the legal bases for stay in Estonia from here.