- for study in a basic school, gymnasium, vocational educational institution, institution of applied higher education or university (for study in a university or institution of applied higher education the language skills of an alien must correspond to the minimum requirements established by the educational institution for the level of educational language, or an alien shall specialise in the national language);
- for study in an educational institution established on the basis of transnational agreement;
- for participation in pre-degree foundation courses in a vocational educational institution, institution of applied higher education or university;
- for participation in field training for pedagogical or other educational purpose in a basic school or gymnasium;
- for participation in pre-degree foundation courses of a vocational educational institution, institution of applied higher education or university;
- for participation in field training intermediated by a vocational educational institution, institution of applied higher education, university or an international students' organization:
- the field training is related to the acquirable education;
- the field training is not compensated;
- a field training contract has been entered into between an alien and the institution conducting the field training.
- for voluntary service within the frames of a youth project or program acknowledged by the Ministry of Education and Science:
- an alien must not get remuneration for the voluntary service;
- a youth association, within the frames of whose youth project or program an alien is applying for residence permit, will bear the maintenance expenses of the alien during his/her residence in Estonia;
- a youth association, within the frames of whose youth project or program an alien is applying for residence permit, has entered into an insurance contract which would cover all medical costs caused by illness or injuries of the alien;
- a contract of voluntary service has been entered into between the alien and the youth association, within the frames of whose youth project or program an alien is applying for residence permit for voluntary service, which must reflect the following data:
- the duties of the alien;
- the tutoring terms related to performance of the duties;
- working time of the alien;
- means for covering travelling subsistence and accommodation costs and for allowances during the total stay in Estonia;
- training, if necessary, provided for better performance of voluntary service of the alien.
Residence permit for study shall be issued in order to perform a curriculum of educational institution in full load.
As an exception you can submit an application at a Service Office, if the applicant is:
- a citizen of a foreign state, with whom Estonia has entered into an agreement of visa-free travel or the visa requirement has been waived from (info www.vm.ee);
- an alien holding a right to stay in Estonia deriving from the expiry of the period of validity of the temporary residence permit;
- a citizen of the United States of America or Japan;
- an alien holding a long-term residence permit of another Member State of the EU, who is applying for temporary residence permit for study;
- an alien who is staying in Estonia on the basis of a temporary residence permit and is applying for a new residence permit;
- an alien staying in Estonia legally and applying for a residence permit for study on the basis of the state-recognised curriculum in the Bachelor's and Master's study integrated curricula, Master's study or Doctoral study;
- an alien who has acquired higher education in Estonia in the applied higher education or Bachelor's studies, Bachelor's and Master's study integrated curricula, Master's study or Doctoral study;
- an alien staying in Estonia legally, if he or she applies for a residence permit for study, voluntary service within the framework of a youth project or program recognised by the Ministry of Education and Research;
- An alien applying for residence permit for study in the Bachelor's studies and commencing the studies in the framework of an international program of cooperation or treaty or an international cooperation agreement of a higher educational institution or if the alien has been designated a scholarship which is financed by the Estonian state or internationally recognized.
In internal applying for residence permit on the basis of a motivated proposition of a member of the Government of the Republic
An alien whose arrival in Estonia is proceeding from public interest necessary on the basis of motivated proposal of the Member of Government of the Republic may submit application for temporary residence permit to the Police and Border Guard Board. To this end an alien shall apply in person together with the motivated proposal of the Member of Government of the Republic to the Service Office of the Police and Border Guard Board.
The state fee can be paid:
- by bank transfer;
- in Service Offices the state fee can be paid in cash, by bankcard or by bank transfer through online bank, using the client computer at the Service Office. All most common debit and credit cards are accepted. American Express payment cards are not accepted.
- at a representation - for detailed information, whether the payment can be made either in cash or by bank card, you can get in your particular representation.
|Temporary residence permit
||In Estonia||In Estonian representation||Payment of the state fee|
|Temporary residence permit||64 €
||80 €||By bank transfer:
Recipient: Rahandusministeerium (Ministry of Finance)
SEB PANK EE891010220034796011
DANSKE BANK EE403300333416110002
NORDEA BANK EE701700017001577198
Please indicate the name of the act, the name and personal identification code (if available) of the person for whom the payment was made
(e.g.: residence permit - Meeri Meri, 40302010000)
|Extension of a temporary residence permit||64 €
||Cannot be applied in Estonian representation|
|Temporary residence permit for an alien under one year of age||24 €||25 €|
|Extension of a temporary residence permit:
||24 €||Cannot be applied in Estonian representation
|To settle with spouse who is an Estonian citizen or with a close relative who is an Estonian citizen||31 €
|Extension of a temporary residence permit for settling with spouse who is an Estonian citizen or with a close relative who is an Estonian citizen||31 €||Cannot be applied in Estonian representation|
|Temporary residence permit for employment
||96 €||120 €|
|Extension of a temporary residence permit for employment||96 €||Cannot be applied in Estonian representation|
|Temporary residence permit for business
||160 €||180 €|
|Extension of a temporary residence permit for business||160 €||Cannot be applied in Estonian representation|
Payment by bank transfer from a bank located in a foreign country
When the state fee is paid from a bank located in a foreign state, then the receipt of the transferred sum on the recipient’s account may take 2 weeks. While effecting payment of the state fee from a bank located in a foreign country, it is necessary to know, in addition to the abovementioned, also BIC-code or SWIFT-code of the bank located in Estonia.
- The BIC i.e. SWIFT code of the SEB is EEUHEE2X.
- The BIC i.e. SWIFT code of the Swedbank is HABAEE2X.
- The BIC i.e. SWIFT code of the Danske Bank in Estonia is FOREEE2X
- The BIC i.e. SWIFT code of the Nordea Bank is NDEAEE2X
- SEB Pank AS: Tornimäe 2 Tallinn 15010 Estonia
- Swedbank: Liivalaia 8 Tallinn 15040 Estonia
- Danske Bank A/S Eesti filiaal: Narva mnt 11 Tallinn 15015 Estonia
- Nordea Bank AB Eesti filiaal: Liivalaia 45 Tallinn 10145 Estonia
Document annexed to an application that is issued in a foreign country has to be translated into Estonian, English or Russian and notarised certification of the translation is required.
The document needs to be certified with an apostille certificate (marginal note) or legalised, excl. in cases, if it has been issued by a country:
- with which Estonia has signed a contract of legal assistance: Lithuania, Latvia, Poland, Ukraine, Russia.
- who are subjects to the Convention on the issue of multilingual extracts from civil status records, signed at Vienna in 1976: Austria, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Cape Verde, Spain, the Netherlands, Croatia, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Moldavia, Montenegro, Poland, Portugal, France, Germany, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, Switzerland and Turkey;
Additional information can be found at home page of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
On 1st of July 2012 entered into force an agreement on cancellation of the legalization requirement of population register documents of Estonia and Finland, which significantly simplifies for people to manage their public businesses in both countries. Pursuant to the agreement the statements of population register, which are made in English language, shall be mutually recognized without any additional certificate (apostille) or translation.
The agreement specifies the list of documents which will be mutually released from apostille. On the part of Estonia such documents are statements of the population register in English language (certificates for birth, death, marriage, change of name, divorce, certificate on ability to get married and statement with selective data). On the part of Finland such documents are the statement of the population register (with selective data), certificate by church and certificate on ability to get married.
From now on, for a citizen of Estonia and for a citizen of Finland who is residing in Estonia the best way is to apply in a local municipality for an English language statement of Estonian population register with all the requested data. The statement of the population register is free of charge. For evidencing a certain event, it is possible, when required, to ask from a county government the English language certificate of such event, which shall be issued against state fee payment pursuant to the State Fees Act (for certificate of birth, death, marriage and divorce the state fee is 3,19 Euros, for certificate on ability to get married 1,59 Euros and for a statement of decision on change of name 3,19 Euros).
This named agreement is not applicable to vital statistics documents which have been issued before 1.07.2010 and to the statements issued in Estonian and Finnish languages.
The full text of the agreement is provided in the State Gazette Riigi Teataja.
Legal income must enable the maintenance of the alien and his/her family members in Estonia.
Legal income are deemed to be:
- lawfully earned remuneration for work;
- parental benefits;
- unemployment insurance benefits;
- income received from lawful business activities or property;
- alimony (maintenance support);
- benefits paid by a foreign state;
- subsistence ensured by family members (i.e. spouse, parents of minor child, parents of adult children who need care and assistance, adult children or grandchildren of parents or grandparents who need care and assistance, parents or grandparents of adult child who is studying at full load, guardian) earning legal income.
The amount of income of 6 months prior to the submission of an application has to be proved. The amount of income is calculated on the basis of the number of all family members.
Regulation No 66 of the Minister of the Interior of 4 December 2015 on Establishment of rates of legal income.
When a temporary residence permit is applied for in case of substantial national interest, on the basis of a treaty or for settling permanently with a close relative, the following income requirement is applied:
|Size of your family
||Your family's legal income
per month EUR
Your family's legal income
Upon application for a long-term residence permit or temporary residence permit for settling with close relative residing in Estonia the total legal income of the sponsor family and the applicant must meet at least the following rates:*
|Size of your family||Your family's legal income
per month EUR
|Your family's legal income
during the past 6 months EUR
Upon application for a temporary residence permit for settling with a spouse or a temporary residence for study the legal income of a family must meet at least the following rates :*
|Size of your family||Your family's legal income
per month EUR
|Your family's legal income
during the past 6 months EUR
*These sums are valid starting from 1st January 2016
An alien applying for a residence permit or residing in Estonia, who is not covered by compulsory health insurance pursuant to the Health Insurance Act, is obligated to enter into a compulsory health insurance contract (hereinafter a contract) corresponding to the following terms and valid in Estonia during the whole validity period of the residence permit:
- the contract is entered into with an insurance provider authorised to insure the medical treatment insurance risk in Estonia;
- an insured event is an unexpected and unforeseeable illness or accident occurred with the alien insured according to the contract (hereinafter the insured person) during the insurance period;
- an insurer is required to reimburse to an insured person, within the extent of the sum insured, the necessary medical costs due to the illness or accident and the costs of studies being done for establishing the insured event and the determination of the treatment;
- the insurance coverage for the insurance period of one year is at least 6000 euros;
- in case the parties have agreed on the waiting period in the meaning of subsection 558 (1) of the Law of Obligations Act, this may not be longer than two months;
- the contract shall enter into force as of the granting of the residence permit and shall expire with the expiry of the period of validity of the residence permit, unless otherwise agreed by the parties.
The compulsory insurance requirement is also covered by a compulsory insurance or collective insurance contract entered into by another person, provided that the alien is named as the insured person in such contract.
In case within the insurance period the insured person becomes a person covered with insurance or equal to thereof on the basis of the Health Insurance Act:
- the insurance provider has no duty of performance to the extent in which the insured person has a right to receive health insurance benefit on the basis of the Health Insurance Act;
- The parties are entitled to cancel the contract on the basis of the Health Insurance Act as of the arising of the insurance cover.
If an alien has no opportunity to conclude a proper insurance contract before the residence permit is granted to him/her, then he/she must submit:
- a written assurance, that he/she will conclude the required insurance contract no later than within two months after the settlement in Estonia;
- an insurance contract, which shall cover the medial treatment expenses until the conclusion of a proper insurance contract (e.g. travel insurance contract).
Written confirmation shall not be accepted, if the applicant is staying in Estonia or has arrived into Estonia prior the decision is made about the application for residence permit (e.g. on the basis of visa).
Please send the documents requested for applying and the copies of original documents to the address:
Police and Border Guard Administration
Pärnu mnt 139
More detailed requirements to documents enclosed to the application form can be found here. Please certify the authenticity of the copy with the original document by your name, signature and date on each page of the copy which carries any data.
You can apply for extension of residence permit by e-mail, if less than two years have from the last application for residence permit and capturing of fingerprints, provided that You are holding a valid residence card.
Sign all documents required for application digitally in one container. Digital colour photo (minimum size is 480х600 pixels) and specimen signature must be in .jpg format.
Send the signed container to an address email@example.com. The subject of an e-mail, please write: „ELAMISLOA PIKENDAMISE TAOTLUS“.
Instructions for saving and digital signing of the questionnaire.
The educational institution where an alien who was granted a residence permit for study, the institution conducting the traineeship, international student organisation who intermediated the traineeship of an alien in Estonia and a youth organisation, for voluntary service in the framework of whose youth project or program an alien was issued a temporary residence permit for voluntary service, shall have the obligation to notify the Police and Border Guard in writing within two weeks about the following aspects:
- dismissing of an alien, to whom a residence permit was granted for studies, from the educational institution;
- failure to perform the curriculum in the required amount;
- completion of studies;
- failure to commence the studies at the prescribed term or termination of studies; or
- entering into or termination of a field training contract with an alien.
An educational institution is entitled to represent a minor alien in the proceedings related to his/her stay in Estonia or leave of Estonia, if a legal representative of the alien (e.g. parent) is not staying in Estonia.
Requirements to a photo
It must be possible to identify a person on the basis of a photo univocally.
- A person must be depicted at a photo:
- en face,
- having neutral expression and closed mouth,
- without headgear,
- with eyes open and look has to be directed towards camera lens.
- It has to be a colour photo, by size of 40 x 50 mm.
- Area between chin and top of head must form 70-80% of the vertical height of the photo.
- Glasses are allowed, if eyes are not covered by spectacle frames and there are no “gleams of light” from reflection of glasses.
- Photo has to be taken within 6 months before submitting an application.
- Hair may not cover face nor cause shades on face.
- Photo may not have fingerprints, scratches or any other defects on it.
- Colour gamma of the photo must have natural spectre (may not be overexposed nor underexposed).
- Background of the photo must be flat, mono-colour, of bright colour (commendatory colours are light blue, beige, light brown, light grey or white) and in contrast with colour of face and hair.
- Red-eye effect on the photo is not allowed are also its removal by means of the software is forbidden.
More detailed requirements set to the photo can be found here.
Proportions of the taken photos can be compared by means of a template that can be found here. By printing of the template, we ask not to change the scale.
The document photo can be taken free of charge in all service points.
Photo taken in a photo booth is digital and it can be used in all Service Offices, by applications sent by post or by e-mail within 30 days. If you submit the application by post or by email and you took he photo at the photo booth in the Service Office, then please insert this information to your application.
By applying for a document for a child being below the age of three years it is easier to take a photo by a photographer than in photo booth. If necessary, ask for additional information or assistance from customer service official.