In order to receive acquisition permit of a weapon or in order to replace or extend the weapons permit, the applicant has to address to the service bureau.
Weapons may be acquired by citizens of the Republic of Estonia or by aliens who hold a valid Estonian residence permit or who are residing in Estonia based on the right of residence. Weapons may be acquired since 18 years of age, by some types of weapons as of 21 years of age.
Natural persons are permitted to acquire, hold and possess weapons for hunting, self-defence and protection of property, dealing with sports, professional activities and collection.
Documents required for application
- Passport or ID-card
- Residence permit (an alien)
- Health certificate issued by family physician (not older than 3 months)
- 2 photos by size of 30x40 mm (the photos must be on paper-carrier)
- Hunting certificate (if weapon will be acquired for hunting)
- Document proving membership of a sports organization (if weapon will be acquired for dealing with sports)
The state fee has to be paid before applying for the permit. Permits Officer notifies the applicant about payment of the state fee of the exam when agreeing about time and place of the exam.
Shooting sports organisations that are registered in Estonia and whose main task is promotion of shooting sports, and persons being awarded the firearm registered in his or her name are exempt from payment of state fees for the issue of a weapons permit (see more in detail - section 41 of the State Fees Act).
Rates of state fees
- issue of a weapons permit, a parallel weapons permit, a permit to carry a weapon and weapons and cartridge collection permit - 30 euros
- issue of a certificate for destruction of the weapon, rendering of a weapon incapable of firing and compliance with requirements for incapability of firing - 15 EUR
- extension of weapons and cartridge collection permit and entering additional data to collection permit - 15 EUR
- replacement of a weapons permit, a parallel weapons permit and a permit to carry a weapon - 15 euros
- taking of the weapons permit examination (theoretical and handling and proficiency in shooting) - 30 EUR
- for passing a shooting test (exam on handling the weapon of a different type and shooting skills test) from holder of a valid weapons permit - 15 EUR
- issue of the European firearms passport - 15 EUR
- issue of special permit for a special permit for the import into Estonia or export from Estonia of firearms or gas weapons - 30 EUR per each firearm
- issue of a prior permit or permit for the conveyance of firearms within the European Community - 30 EUR per each firearm
- issue of a prior permit for the release of firearms for free circulation as goods - 30 EUR per each firearm
- application for activity licence in the areas of activity connected to weapons and ammunition - 260 EUR
More detailed information about payment of the state fees can be found here.
Police official, assistant police official, prison official, active serviceman and active member of the Defence League are not required to submit a health certificate nor pass the examination, if:
- the police official or assistant police official gives confirmation upon submitting of the application that he or she is entitled to carry the service weapon and complies continually with presented health requirements;
- prison official and active serviceman annexes to the application confirmation of the authority that the applicant holds the right to carry the service or military weapon and the applicant complies continually with health requirements set by entering to prison or active service;
- active member of the Defence League shall present the permit of carrying a weapon of the Defence League.
- Weapons permit is issued to a person until validity term of the health certificate or other document issued to the name of the person confirming compliance with the required state of health.
By acquisition of a weapon or replacement of weapons permit it is not required to take the weapon along to the service bureau for showing it. Existence of a weapon is inspected at agreed with the holder time in its storage location. Holders of weapons who wish to transfer weapons belonging to them in the presence of the Permit Official in the police office (subsection 64 (1) of the Weapons Act), must continually address to Permits Officials of the police station.
The permit applied for is also issued from the service bureau.
NB! Before addressing to service office for acquisition of a weapon, we would recommend to get acquainted with circumstances excluding issuing of permit for acquisition of a weapon and weapons permit provided for in the Weapons Act.