Aliens, who are residing in Estonia on the basis of residence permit, are, in general, permitted to work in Estonia. Starting from 01.09.2013 separate work permits shall not be issued in Estonia any more. The work permits, which have been issued before 01.09.2013, shall lose their legal effect in respect of an alien’s right to be employed or lack of right to be employed in Estonia, and the employment right of such person shall further derive from the Aliens Act.
In addition to the employment in Estonia on the basis of a residence permit, short-term employment in Estonia is also pemitted.
An alien, to whom a temporary residence permit has been issued on the basis of legal income, is not permitted to work in Estonia.
An alien, who is staying in Estonia without legal basis, including those have been prescribed by administrative act or judicial decision the obligation to leave Estonia, is prohibited to work in Estonia.
Terms for employment in Estonia for an alien staying in Estonia on the basis of a visa or visa free:
- an alien is permitted to work in Estonia, if his/her short-term employment has been registered in the Police and Border Guard Board. The registration of short-term employment shall be applied for by the employer.
- an alien may carry a managing or supervising role as a member of management body of a legal entity registered in Estonia.
An alien may work in Estonia without the residence permit issued for working, if he or she is granted visa or residence permit of the competent authority of the Member State of the Schengen Convention and who is holding the right to work of the named Member State, if:
- working of an alien in Estonia is related to locating of the enterprise to Estonia;
- an alien is holding legal basis for stay in Estonia, and
- time of working in Estonia does not exceed 90 days within 12 consecutive months.
A citizen of a member state of the European Union or European Economic Area or Swiss Confederation (hereinafter an EU citizen) may reside and work in Estonia without registration of his/her right of temporary residence for a term of up to 3 months.
An alien family member of an EU citizen is entitled to work in Estonia only in case if the right of temporary/permanent residence has been granted to him or her.