What to do if your car is towed away
You can telephone the Police and Border Guard Board’s information line on 612 3000 (09:00 am–5:00 pm Mon–Fri) or the police emergency phone number 112, who will advise you where the vehicle has been taken.
In Tallinn and Harju County, vehicles are generally towed to the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board’s car park at Rahumäe tee 6, Tallinn. The car park is open on working days 10:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday to Thursday and 10:00 am to 3:00 pm on Fridays. Contact phone numbers 612 5846, 53 483 654.
The costs of transporting the vehicle to a police authority must be covered in advance for the vehicle to be released. We ask you to bring the relevant payment order or its printout when you come to recover your car, or send it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We only accept card payments on site!
Payment order details for the reimbursement of costs of transporting the vehicle to the car park at Rahumäe tee 6, Tallinn, are the following:
Recipient: Rahandusministeerium (the Ministry of Finance)
- SEB Pank EE89 1010 2200 3479 6011
- Swedbank EE93 2200 2210 2377 8606
- Luminor Bank EE70 1700 0170 0157 7198
Reference number: 2800082310
- car registration number
- name of the person
- explanation “sõiduki teisaldamise tasu” (vehicle removal fee). (e.g. “123ABC, John Smith, sõiduki teisaldamise tasu”). Send a copy of your payment order to email@example.com.
The vehicle shall be issued upon presentation of an identity document to a person who meets at least one of the following requirements:
- he/she is the owner or user of the vehicle, according to the register of the Estonian Road Administration;
- he/she is authorised to use the vehicle;
- he/she has a contract of sale and purchase confirming the acquisition of the vehicle. Pursuant to the Traffic Act, the driver, owner or possessor of the vehicle shall compensate the costs of transporting the vehicle to a guarded storage facility or police authority and the costs of storing and guarding the vehicle.
The costs of transporting a vehicle to the guarded storage facility or police authority and the costs of storing and guarding the vehicle there and the reimbursement arrangements have been established by Regulation No 4 of the Government of the Republic of 9 January 2015.
You can find out the exact cost of recovering your towed vehicle by contacting the car park.